Friday, April 17, 2009

Chuck

I think I've grown tired of NBC's action/comedy Chuck. I watched it irregularly during the first season and tried to step up my loyalty to it this year when I added the show to my DVR list. Now I'm nearly a month behind watching it and I'm not sure if it's even worth the effort.

For those unfamiliar with the premise, Chuck is our hero- an everyday nerd who works at a Best Buy look-a-like store. When a database of government secrets gets loaded on to his brain, Chuck becomes involved in the world of espionage and intrigue. He is joined by agents Sarah and Casey who must try to blend into his life, his sister and her fiance (wedding date: season finale), and the Buy More is full of cleverly written supporting cast members.

The hardest part about letting this show go is that I enjoy watching it. It's cleverly written, inserts pop culture references seamlessly (what other show can handle a performance of Toto's Africa, along with other nerd paraphernalia strung around the sets), knows how to use guest stars to their full potential, and has an attractive cast (at least those with speaking roles) with someone for anyone. It's in a tough timeslot - Monday's are full with House, Dancing with the Stars, Gossip Girl, and How I Met Your Mother all competing against each other, but I don't watch any of those shows regularly either.

What's sad about this, is that my problem maintaining my interest in the show is not isolated. Even though it's well-loved by those who watch it, the future of the show is still unclear. The ratings are nothing to write home about and it's on a network in an unenviable position right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment